oneworld MegaDo giveaway: Preview the new American Airlines In-flight Safety Video

Congratulations to Steve, the winner of yesterday’s oneworld MegaDo Giveaway!   Yesterday I asked readers whether or not they were going to miss the MD-80 series aircraft when they get replaced with the new Boieng 737s and Airbus A320s.  Opinion was pretty divided: 41% percent said that they would miss it, which leaves 59% that won’t.  For the record, here was Steve’s response “Yes…the 2×3 seat configuration is a winner.”

Results from Day 3 Random Drawing

Here’s a look at the brand new in-flight safety video that will debute on February 1.

From the American Airlines YouTube channel:

Next time you fly AA, pay close attention to the inflight safety video, as not only does it contain important information for your trip, but also features real AA employees.  Debuting across the AA network from February 1st, 2012, our In-Flight safety video features a group of employees representing Pilots, Flight Attendants, Passenger Service, Fleet Service, aircraft, facility and line mechanic employees all committed to your safety while flying American.

I have a confession. I don’t pay attention to the in-flight safety video.  If a flight attendant gives the demonstration, I’ll almost always pay attention.   I feel kind of obligated to watch, just because I don’t want be rude.  Hopefully, the novelty of the new video will encourage me to pay attention.  

So, that brings us to today’s giveaway.

To celebrate the first ever oneworld MegaDo, I’m giving away a different prize in a random drawing each day this week!

Even if you’re not going to the oneworld MegaDo, this is your chance to win some AAdvantage Geek gear.

Today’s prize: This American Airlines Stainless Steel Travel Mug!

To enter, all you have to do is post your answer to this question in the comments section.

Do you watch the in-flight safety video?

There’s not a right or wrong response.  Just submit your answer.   I’ll have a random drawing in the morning and the winner will be announced tomorrow. One entry per person. The deadline to enter is tonight at 11:59PM Pacific.


I know of two other bloggers that will also be giving away some oneworld MegaDo related prizes.

The Weekly Flyer over at Points, Miles & Martinis sponsored a contest with prizes for people participating in the MegaDo and as well as prizes for those that aren’t attending.   He announced a winner.  

AJ from Live from a Loung is also offering a reader contest.  So stop by his blog today for chance to win some cool MegaDo related prizes.


Gary Leff is going to be busy this week.  In addition to writing his View from the Wing blog, he’s going to be moonlighting over at the Official oneworld MegaDo blog and Tweeting from the events:

I’ll also be live tweeting from @OWMegaDO. Follow that twitter feed for all the live updates, including insights gleaned from airline execs and aircraft manufacturers over the course of the trip. If you’re going to be on the trip, or want to follow others that are, use or search the hash tag #OWMegaDO.

Don’t forget that you can also follow along with these bloggers.  They’ll also be providing event coverage:

Points, Miles & Martinis,
Deals We Like,
Miles from Blighty,
Mommy Points,
AJ from Live from a Lounge,
Gary from a View from the Wing,
Rick the Frugal Travel Guy
Brian The Points Guy,
Eric M. the new Official AAdvantage Mega VIP Video Blogger.

Good luck in the drawing!!


  1. I watch the in-flight video if it’s changed, or if I haven’t flown recently. If I’m flying a lot, and that music comes on, I tune it out.

  2. No, but I do always look around for the nearest exits. However, since I almost always fly F, they’re never too far away. 🙂

  3. I pay attention when O’m on a new aircraft or one that I haven’t been on in a while … at least for the domestic carriers. On others, I always pay attention, knowing that in an emergency, not everyone is going to speak English.

  4. Yes, as long as they’re not too annoying.

    You should watch the failed attempt at commedy in a safety video by TAP:

    I watched it once, and vowed never to repeat.

  5. I usually do, unless I have watched it too many times. A personal TV or live demo will definitely make me watch. Overhead TV occasionally makes me want to skip it.

  6. Not usually, and not to be sexist, but I probably would if it were delivered by Scarlett Johanson, Selma Hayek, or Kari Byron…

  7. The American Airlines safety video must be THE worst one currently running. In an attempt to be “inclusive”, using “real employees”, they have cobbled together a chaotic, hyperactive, poorly edited, amateurish video I’ve ever seen.

    Released over a year ago, it has been repeatedly updated with poor quality voiceovers as regulations changed. And what is with the monotonic, frantic, guitar plucking soundtrack?

    What a mess!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *