The Weekly World News, the former newsstand tabloid turned online tabloid, is reporting this bit of news:
Wealthy actor-director Tyler Perry has made an attractive offer for American Airlines. The offer, said to be near $5 billion dollars, was quickly accepted by the airline.
Perry, the creator of the “Madea” character and the “House of Payne” sitcom, reportedly plans to rename American Airlines – African-American Airlines.
Perry said he will not only be the CEO of the new airline, but he also will be the CFO, the COO, the CIO, the director of human sources and, of course, he will be the pilot on many AAA flights.
American said it is operating normal flight schedules, honoring tickets and reservations, and making normal refunds and exchanges – during the transition.
There’s no need to be alarmed by the news, after all this is the same media outlet that broke these stories:
• Alien Captured By U.S. Agents!
• Wounded Civil War Soldier Found in Georgia
• Noah’s Ark Found in Pennsylvania
• Farmer Shoots 23 Pound Grasshopper!
• I Had Bigfoot’s Baby
• Abraham Lincoln’s Corpse Revived
And most famously:
Something that might alarm you though, is the reaction in the comments section:
• This is awesome. I know Tyler is a very well prepared businessman and its sure a very nice thing to see a man living his dream. I definitely dont have a problem with it
• It’s a joke, people.
• Congratulations TYLER PERRY! Dont like your movies, but who needs to act when you own an airlines?
• You people are stupid. READ the article it is full of…inaccuracies. AA is HQd in Miami, not Dallas. It said Perry is going to fly the planes and buy an airline every week for a year.
• It’s a joke!! Calm down! lol lol lol lol
• Congratulations Tyler keep up the good work…… xoxo
• Stupid idiots do you really think this is true.
• Hope the fares for the caribbean island of St.Kitts/Nevis will reduce to a better fares. Tyler we luv u
“AA is HQd in Miami, not Dallas.?” Pretty scary stuff when the voice of ignorance is also the voice of reason (though I have to agree with the desire for some fare sales to the Caribbean:-)
Go here to read the full story. Be warned, some of the comments make even the most heated threads in the AAdvantage section of FlyerTalk seem mild.
For the record: I found about this in a Google Alert. I’m not a regular reader of the Weekly World News;-)
Photo: The Day The Earth Will Stand Still – Weekly World News – September 15, 1998
Credit: By Mykl Roventine via Flickr